Thursday 13 November 2014

48 hours til departure

This is getting real!

Hand sanitizer check.
Red dirt resistance clothing check.
Chichewa language book check.
Sense of adventure - of course!

I have been overwhelmed by the support and encouragement from friends, family, colleagues and people I have only recently met.  Whilst I appreciate that this is not everyone's cup of tea and many would not embark on this adventure, I do acknowledge that I have been able to assist in changing individuals thoughts about what else is out there.

Wednesday night I presented on behalf of Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA) a webinar entitled AEPs (accredited exercise physiologists) within a minority setting.  We discussed the challenges we as allied health professionals will potentially face within Indigenous Australia, multicultural Australia as well as in environments and communities such as Malawi.  The need for cultural understanding, sensitivity and awareness.  About the need for mutual respect, an ear to listen to and an appreciation that our health beliefs, experiences and understanding are all different.  A challenge that continues to grow the more we immerse ourselves in a different culture and health setting.

The next few weeks will be an exceptional challenge both professionally and personally as I develop a better understanding of 500miles and the services and clientele we will provide to.  I am looking forward to sharing my experiences with you all.

Tionana (see you later)

No comments:

Post a Comment